Saturday, October 18, 2008

My smart boy!

I try not to brag about my kids too much unless they are within earshot, but I just have to pass this along! My 5-year-old son Carson is in kindergarten this year and he LOVES Youtube. He likes to watch Thomas, Disney Cars, and lately Indiana Jones videos. I help him type in what he wants to see. Last night he watched the cartoon Speed Racer and loved it. I was busy doing stuff and I came around the corner and he was watching Speed Racer movies on Youtube. I asked him how he did it. He found a Speed Racer car that he got in a Happy Meal a long time ago. He turned the car over and found the words (that were hard to read) Speed Racer. He then got himself on Youtube and typed in Speed Racer and found all of the Speed Racer videos!!

Now I know that there are probably many kindergartners that could do this, but it is extra special for him. He was born at 27 weeks and had a 50% chance of having learning disabilities. So far he hasn't shown signs of learning disabilities, but does have sensory issues. He has low muscle tone which has led to speech delays, fine motor skill deficits (we are hoping to be able to read his writing by the time he is in college), and large motor skill deficits (he has very weak core muscles). But those are things that he WILL overcome!! He may not be the smartest in his class (yet!!), but if there is something that he wants, he will find a way to get it!!!

BTW - We are hoping Santa brings him a Play Station 2 for Christmas. He is getting too good at the internet. We monitor what he does, but I'm not thrilled with some of the Indiana Jones videos that older kids make. They aren't horrible, but they talk about killing people and I really don't want my 5-year-old talking about killing people! At least with the Play Station it will be easier to monitor what he is exposed to.



1 comment:

ellieshine said...

I have a 5 year old (predicted to have learning disabilities as he has dyspraxia - a neurological speech disorder . . . ) anyway I think that is so amazing that Carson did that! wow! He is one smart little boy!!!! My little guy has some areas of brilliance also, isn't that good of God to give them some extra special gifts??!!

Presley's Adoption Timeline

  • 8/15/2007 - Received referral for Geneva!
  • 9/13/2007 - Sent LOI (letter of intent) to our agency
  • 9/29/2007 - LOI was sent to China!
  • 10/08/2007 - LOI was delivered to the CCAA in China
  • 10/29/2007 - PA (pre-approval) was issued!!
  • 1/15/2008 - DTC (dossier to China)
  • 1/18/2008 - Dossier delivered to CCAA
  • 1/25/2008 - LID (log-in date)
  • 4/1/2008 - LOA (letter of acceptance)
  • 4/25/2008 - CCAA issues TA (travel approval)
  • 5/22/2008 - Leave for China!!!
  • 5/25/2008 - Met our sweet Lexi!
  • 5/26/2008 - Discovered Lexi had brain damage
  • 5/30/2008 - Met precious Presley!
  • 6/7/2008 - Arrived home

My Family

My Family
My favorite people!!