Thursday, April 30, 2009
Our sweet baby is TWO years old today! It was exactly 11 months ago today that she came into our lives. Her adoption and transition has been so much better than expected. She has fit right into our family. We love her so much!
Her are some things that we love (and some we don't love so much) about our sweet Presley:
1. She is very BIG!! She is on the 95th percentile for both height and weight. This morning on our bathroom scale she was 30 pounds! I take her to the doctor tomorrow for her "official" measurements and will let everyone know what they say.
2. She loves to eat. She is definitely our best eater.
3. She loves dresses, nightgowns, hats, and sunglasses. She is very much a girly girl!!
4. She LOVES her bath and going swimming. We she first came home she was terrified of the bath. She has only been swimming twice, but her favorite thing is to wear her arm floaties and just float there and doesn't want anybody to touch her! We joined the YMCA and won't be surprised at all if she is swimming this summer.
5. She has very good fine motor skills. She has been an expert with silverware for at least 6 months. And now she refuses to eat with toddler silverware and has to eat with the big ones.
6. She has the best laugh EVER!!
7. She loves to mother her dolls, feed them, put them in bed, cover them up, and give them lots of kisses!
8. Though she is very coordinated, she is also clumsy! People tell me that toddlers that are tall trip a lot. We wouldn't know, our biggest biological child is only on the 15th percentile for height!!
9. She is a daddy's girl! It is great to see because when she came home she wouldn't even look at her daddy for 6 weeks without screaming!
10. She mimics everything people do. She studies them and does the exact arm motions, stance, everything. It is really funny!
11. She has a very strong personality. She will let you know when she isn't happy with what is going on. But I have also learned that once you lay down the law and enforce it, she is VERY good at following the rules. She is quite cooperative once she knows that you aren't going to back down. But until she is done testing your limits, better grab some ear plugs!!
12. I LOVE giving her a time out. Sounds crazy I know. I have only given her about 4 of them and she is so good at them. It is so cute to see her sit in that big chair quietly without complaining. And then when the buzzer goes off she gives the biggest hugs ever!
As all adoptive parents, our thoughts on this day also turn to her birth mother and family. Her birth mom has no way of knowing what has happened to her. I wish I could let her know that she is happy and healthy with a mom, dad, 2 brothers, and a sister that love and cherish her very much. That she will be given every opportunity that she wouldn't have had in China. That she has excellent medical care and her cleft lip has been fixed and will be revised in a few years and won't even be noticeable. I can't even imagine the pain her birth mom feels about not knowing what has happened to her precious girl. I hope that somehow she can just "know" that she is having a wonderful life. I know her birth mother would be so happy that she is in America. The Chinese people consider those babies going to America as very blessed. Her birth mother made the absolute best choice for her daughter. That action of abandoning her (I HATE that word) shows the amount of unconditional love they have for her.
I haven't taken a lot of picture the last couple of weeks (I know it's a shock to most of you)!! But here are a few snapshots of our big 2-year-old!!! Happy Birthday Presley Claire Xue!!! We love you very, very much!!!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Okay, now for the not so amazing moment of the weekend. All of the doors in our house are the type with a long handle that you pull down to open. I hate them because there is no way to childlock them. I was with Presley and Kendall and realized that I hadn't seen Landon in a while. That isn't unusual as he is really good at entertaining himself and we will find him up in his room playing legos or reading books by himself. I ran out to the garage to find a screaming little boy. He was holding onto a cloth diaper that Derek had used to clean up some yard equipment so it was dirty and gross. I took that out of his hands and he screamed, obviously he was using that for comfort. I brought him in and he was very upset for about 10 minutes. I think he might have been in the garage for up to a half an hour!! Kendall had High School Musical music playing in the family room that is right next to the garage, so we couldn't hear him cry. The doorknob going out to the garage is the easy kind, but coming inside is the round kind that he can't open. So from now on we are locking the door going out to the garage all the times!! I felt so awful. I'm the type of mother that has to know where her children are at all times, especially in public. But sometimes I let my guard down a little at home because it is fairly child proofed, they can't get out (even the gate to the yard has a lock on it) and we have a flip lock at the top of our front door so they can't open it. I'm just glad that he was okay and he seems to have forgiven me!!!
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Click on the picture below for a larger view.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
I posted them on my Facebook and had forgotten that my guide while I was in China was a Facebook friend. Duh!!! Thank you Christine!!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
1 (4 pound) chicken
1 1/2 cups prepared barbeque sauce (I used the whole bottle - 18 oz)
1. Put chicken, legs up, into slow cooker. Pour sauce over and inside the chicken. Cover.
2. Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low setting. It is not a good idea to check it, as steam escapes and it takes a quite a while to reheat.
That's it! I don't think it gets easier than that!! The chicken was incredibly moist and yummy!!
Kendall funny - Kendall and Carson both got a Golden Hawk award on Friday. It is a certificate because they did something well, were kind etc. They weren't there on Friday to get it. Kendall said "I got mine today (Monday) because I was abstinent on Friday." I sure hope so!! I know she has never heard that word. I wouldn't think they are teaching abstinence to 2nd graders!!
Carson funny - "Mom, I don't want to get married at the temple. I want to marry Brenna here so that we can live here. I don't want to leave you." I tried to explain that he could get married at the temple and then he and Brenna can come back here to live. He was very excited about that idea!!
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Sunday, April 05, 2009
JUDGES: The whole picture can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/amelise68/3417455288/sizes/l/. I am having issues trying to resize my pictures on my blog!! But I'm having someone do a blog makeover for me so it should be better soon! Thanks!
This weeks theme at I Heart Faces is "My Friend and I." I took this picture back in October right before Miss M (the adorable redhead!!) moved to Utah. These are 2 of Kendall's very best friends. We had a fun evening painting pumpkins and of course a girl party wouldn't be complete without singing and dancing to High School Musical!!
Presley's Adoption Timeline
- 8/15/2007 - Received referral for Geneva!
- 9/13/2007 - Sent LOI (letter of intent) to our agency
- 9/29/2007 - LOI was sent to China!
- 10/08/2007 - LOI was delivered to the CCAA in China
- 10/29/2007 - PA (pre-approval) was issued!!
- 1/15/2008 - DTC (dossier to China)
- 1/18/2008 - Dossier delivered to CCAA
- 1/25/2008 - LID (log-in date)
- 4/1/2008 - LOA (letter of acceptance)
- 4/25/2008 - CCAA issues TA (travel approval)
- 5/22/2008 - Leave for China!!!
- 5/25/2008 - Met our sweet Lexi!
- 5/26/2008 - Discovered Lexi had brain damage
- 5/30/2008 - Met precious Presley!
- 6/7/2008 - Arrived home