Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Zucchini brownies!!

I have been looking for recipes to try with Landon. Right now he is just eating sugar cereal and an occasional grilled cheese sandwich. He loves cookies and chips, so I thought I would try to find something more healthy that resembled a treat. I have tried making homemade power bars, but no luck. I think I need something in the shape of a cookie. I saw these and thought I would try them. They were EXCELLENT!! I found the recipe at www.allrecipes.com. You can also link to the recipe directly by going to http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Brownies/Detail.aspx?prop31=1.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

I followed the directions exactly, except I didn't put in the walnuts. I did peel the zucchinis before I grated them. I was a little worried when I put the batter in in the pan because it was nothing like regular brownie batter and actually had to be spooned into the pan because it was too thick to pour. I had read the reviews and everyone said that the water in the zucchini would be extracted during baking and the brownies would be moist. Yep!! These seriously are sooo good!! This is our new favorite brownie recipe!

Everybody loved them!! Except Landon. He smelled them (he does this to all food) and then put it back down. I need to put some in his mouth for him because he really does like chocolate, though his sensory issues keep him from trying things that he would like.

I noticed that there are cookie recipes also made out of zucchinis. I think I will have to try those too!!
Brownie faceBathtime!

4 comments:

Steph said...

I have a great banana-oatmeal cookie recipe! It can be made with chocolate chips (my preference) or walnuts. Kids love them! I will try to post it on my blog or e-mail you if you want.

Stephenie

Donna said...

What a fantastic idea to sneak a healthy vegetable into a sweet snack like a brownie or cookie!

My Gwenny smells food before deciding whether or not she'll eat it. 99% of the time, she won't eat it so I frequently have to force her to have a tiny little taste of something. Even then, she'll often gag and throw up if the taste or texture isn't what she hoped.

Have you tried using a juicer to extract juice from vegetables and add it to beverages or sauces? It's my best secret way to get good stuff into picky Gwen. So far, she has no idea that I do it!

:)


Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Steph said...

Hi Amy!
I put my recipe on my blog if you want to try it.

Stephenie
elizamei.blogspot.com

Kara said...

I grew up eating zucchini brownies and think they are the best way to eat the stuff. I found that when I was making them for the first time for someone else, peeling the zucchini first makes it practically disappear into the brownie and few even guess it is there.

Presley's Adoption Timeline

  • 8/15/2007 - Received referral for Geneva!
  • 9/13/2007 - Sent LOI (letter of intent) to our agency
  • 9/29/2007 - LOI was sent to China!
  • 10/08/2007 - LOI was delivered to the CCAA in China
  • 10/29/2007 - PA (pre-approval) was issued!!
  • 1/15/2008 - DTC (dossier to China)
  • 1/18/2008 - Dossier delivered to CCAA
  • 1/25/2008 - LID (log-in date)
  • 4/1/2008 - LOA (letter of acceptance)
  • 4/25/2008 - CCAA issues TA (travel approval)
  • 5/22/2008 - Leave for China!!!
  • 5/25/2008 - Met our sweet Lexi!
  • 5/26/2008 - Discovered Lexi had brain damage
  • 5/30/2008 - Met precious Presley!
  • 6/7/2008 - Arrived home

My Family

My Family
My favorite people!!