Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stretching your fabric softener

I found this fabric softener recipe when I was looking for laundry soap recipes. I have been using it and I LOVE it!! This is from the Duggar family at www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html.

1 Container of Name Brand Fabric Softener

4 Inexpensive sponges, cut in half

Pour entire container of softener into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice. (2 parts water to 1 part softener) Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet.

I don't have 19 kids, so I definitely don't need a 5 gallon bucket of this!! I use a disposable container and put 1 part softener to 2 parts water. I really like my laundry to smell good, so I use 2 sponge halves instead of just 1 for each load.

Even if Derek and I weren't pinching our pennies right now, I would still use this. My clothes have never felt softer or smelled better, seriously!! I have been using this for about 6 weeks and we have only used 6 capfuls of fabric softener. We have 4 kids and a dog that sheds, so I do a LOT of laundry!!

There is a downside. This is a little messy. We have a sink in our laundry room, but a towel would work too to dry off your hands.

I have all the ingredients for the homemade laundry soap, but I haven't made it yet because I haven't run out of the store bought kind yet. I will post about that when I make it!!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great idea. I am going to start doing this. I seem to go through softener like crazy cakes.

Gail said...

Love this...I'm going to try it too! thanks for sharing...:)

ellieshine said...

Great idea! I've been thinking about trying the homemade laundry soap too - I love the Duggar ideas :)

Steph said...

That is a great idea. With 7 people, we do LOTS of laundry (or actuall, my husband most of the time).

Do you mind if I add you blog to my favorites list? Tell me if not!

Stephenie

Kara said...

Landon did smell very nice when I snuggled him, and I thought to myself, how can I make my kids smell like that...I have never used fabric softener so we will see...

Presley's Adoption Timeline

  • 8/15/2007 - Received referral for Geneva!
  • 9/13/2007 - Sent LOI (letter of intent) to our agency
  • 9/29/2007 - LOI was sent to China!
  • 10/08/2007 - LOI was delivered to the CCAA in China
  • 10/29/2007 - PA (pre-approval) was issued!!
  • 1/15/2008 - DTC (dossier to China)
  • 1/18/2008 - Dossier delivered to CCAA
  • 1/25/2008 - LID (log-in date)
  • 4/1/2008 - LOA (letter of acceptance)
  • 4/25/2008 - CCAA issues TA (travel approval)
  • 5/22/2008 - Leave for China!!!
  • 5/25/2008 - Met our sweet Lexi!
  • 5/26/2008 - Discovered Lexi had brain damage
  • 5/30/2008 - Met precious Presley!
  • 6/7/2008 - Arrived home

My Family

My Family
My favorite people!!